Since the inception, the University has been taking all possible steps to build up a well-equipped modern library. A Library that is attached to a higher education institution which serves two complementary purposes to support the school's curriculum, and to support the research of the university faculty and students.
The library’s purpose is to enrich teaching, learning and research endeavors of the university by delivering easy access to relevant information resources and providing quality services and facilities. For proper management of the library resources, Dewey Decimal Classification (DDC) system is used. The University Library offers its users a full range of information and enquiry services with the help of state-of-state techniques and technologies.
The GUB Library’s mission is to the success and impact of the GUB community by providing access to, expert assistance with, and stewardship of recorded knowledge; by investing in environments conducive to study, learning, and collaborative research; and by collecting and stewarding its contributions to knowledge and society.
The GUB Library will be an interdisciplinary resource for the entire community that enables transformative research and education through its provision of critical scholarship, tools and services.
- To support the mission of the university as a premier academic and research institution embracing traditional values of higher education as well as the knowledge required for the global community.
- Provide current library materials and databases that support the academic curriculum
- Provide access to information resources, regardless of location
- Collect library materials in all formats, broaden and update all collections to meet the
- To provide greater access to digital collections while continuing to build and improve access to collections in all formats to meet the research and teaching needs of the university.
- The needs of GUB’s programs and support the various aspects of the institution: teaching, training, research and services
- Continue to strengthen and update all collections to meet the needs of GUB programs
- Provide access to library resources and servers via web pages and online recourses
- Work closely with users; know their needs and interests
- Put into practice the motto that building library resources is a continuous process
- Enhance information literacy, especially in the student community, by developing effective plans aiming at improving student ability to
- To provide and ensure quality services and good professional practice in library activities.
We have been working hard and soul to develop a set of values that will influence the work of the Library.
We are pleased to announce that:
- A library environment that is safe, welcoming, and offers a variety of comfortable spaces that will inspire learning, research and creativity.
- The Library Staff that are approachable, helpful, knowledgeable, courteous and take satisfaction in working for the University Library.
- Information sources that are easily accessible, relevant, reliable and of high quality.
- Books are placed in open stacks for the convenience of users and for consultation. GUB Library maintains open access shelves to give enough choices to users so that they can select desired library materials.
- All comments/ suggestions from Library users are received and take necessary steps accordingly.
- Users’ purchase suggestions will be receive via online and take into consideration according to the purchase rules.
- Items returned to the Collection will be re-shelved within one working day.
- The order of all books on the shelves will be checked to ensure accuracy regularly.
- No user should wait to be acknowledged for more than 3 minutes to be helped from any Library front line desk.
These values will inform the evaluation of our current services and new ones.
German University Library's collections encompass a rich and varied universe of printed volumes, digital resources, maps, media and archival materials. The Library's digital collection continues to grow at a rapid pace.
The Library has comprehensive collections to meet the needs of its users. The Library provides a variety of services designed to support students, faculty members, researchers, and staff members of German University Bangladesh. The GUB Library develops and maintains extensive print and e-resources to support the research, teaching and learning activities of the University. The core collections encompass subjects in computer, electronic, materials, mechanical, civil and environmental engineering, food science, animal health, human health, business, banking and accounting, History, Literature, humanities, art and design, biological and life sciences, Bangladesh studies etc.
The Library has extensive holdings including print collections (collections are mostly open access), e-resources collection include journals, e-books, and theses, student projects, research reports, etc. in full text. The information sources are easily accessible, relevant, reliable and of high quality.
Reading Room: The Library offers two types of reading room services; one is Silent Study area and is another for group study area.
Lending Service: Library members are entitled to borrow books and other reading materials for their own use through web-based online lending and receiving services. The users can also check their borrowing status, renew issued resources and can reserve two books at a time for 48 hours through the library website. It also provides auto email alert services. Library materials cannot be borrowed on behalf of others.
Reference Service: Reference materials (Encyclopedias, Dictionaries, Newspapers, Journals, Magazines, Reports, Theses, etc.) are for use inside the library; they cannot be issued out. Users may borrow books /CD/DVDs marked as Confined for few hours through ID card for photocopying.
Current Awareness Service: The library regularly keeps its users aware of the new arrivals of resources and services through current awareness service (CAS) using modern techniques and technologies.
Information Retrieval Service: Information retrieval services are available for all users
Information service: Information retrieval services are available for all clients.
Photocopy services: Library provides photocopy facilities to the library members from library materials if it is permitted under the national and international copyright laws, rule and regulations.
Internet service: Apart from the GUB computer lab, the library has 5 (five) computers inside the library to provide internet services through WIFI & WIMAX technology. GUB has registered HINARI (Health Internet work Access to Research Initiative) database, using HINARI more than 4,000 full text online journals can be accessed. Access to any other international free full text journals /databases and E-Resources, can be made through the internet, in consultation Head of the library.
News clipping service: News clipping services on important subject are providing on regular basis for library users. In addition There is a newspaper corner in library where 8 (eight) leading daily Newspaper is kept for students. Library users may get back issues of newspaper up to the last 01 (one) year.
E-Library Service: Library website have been augmented with useful links like JSTOR, Research4life (HINARI, AGORA, OARE, ARDI), Regional Journals Online etc. Through these online databases library patrons were succeed to enter thousands of free full text e-resources i.e. articles, book chapters, books etc.
E – Journals : Users can access to full text e-journals through Research4life and BanglaJol.
E – Books : Lots of full text e-books through Research4life
Library Orientation: The library arranges orientation program every semester for the new students to demonstrate how to use the university library systems and services effectively. It also arranges library literacy class among the teachers, students and staff members.
- Library membership is required to enjoy the borrowing facilities of the library resources.
- Students, Faculty and staff members of GUB are eligible to be a member.
- To be a member of library a student should come with admission Pay Slip, one passport size photo, two stamp size photos, a valid email ID.
- Borrower cards (both green and yellow) are not transferable.
- Borrower is responsible for all materials charged/issued against him/her cards.
- Stolen or lost card should be reported as soon as possible to the library circulation desk.
- She/he must pay Tk.100.00 (one hundred only) as penalty charge if any borrower lost yellow card
Library members are entitled to borrow books, other reading materials from the library for their own use. Library materials cannot be borrowed on behalf of others.
- Students are entitled to borrow 4 (four) books for 15 (fourteen) days, days at a time.
- Faculty members are entitled to borrow 10 (ten) books for the semester at a time.
Part-time faculty members are entitled to borrow 3 (three) books for the semester.
- Administrative staff are entitled to borrow 2 (two) books for 15 (fourteen) days at a time.
- Students and administrative staff can also renew the tenure of the borrowed books for another 15 (fourteen) days through using online catalogue or bringing them to the library if there is no prior reservation for the items by other users.
- Library members must show their ID card to borrow books, audio visual materials and other library resources.
- Users may borrow books /CD/DVDs marked as Confined for few hours through ID card for photocopying.
- Borrowed books and materials must be returned on or before the due date at the circulation desk during working hours.
- Fines are charged to encourage return of borrowed materials on the due date. A fine of Tk. 5/- (five) for each book, But, a fine of Tk. 50/- (fifty) for each Confined book, No book(s) will be issued to any person incurring such fine until it has been paid.
- The borrower is solely responsible for the safety, protection and proper maintenance of the borrowed materials. Fine will be imposed for each item if the borrower fails to return the book(s) within the due date.
- The borrower must replace the lost/damaged book/CD/DVD by a new and unused copy of the same author(s), title, and edition.
- Library resources will be checked out by the assigned library staff at the circulation desk during library working hours.
- All borrowers must sign the borrowing card(s) for each item borrowed.
- Borrowers must allow library materials in their possession to be checked before leaving the library.
- Two-month suspension of borrowing books may be imposed on a student for frequent late returns or frequent loss of books.
- Borrowed resources may be recalled at any time.
- No official documents will be issued to the students, faculty members and administrative staff without clearance from the library.
Library Using Rules
The library users are required to follow the following rules and guidelines:
Silence must be observed in all silent study areas. Where group study space is provided, conversation must be kept at as low a level as possible.
- Mobile phones must be switched off or at least set to silent mode before entering the library. Smoking, eating and drinking are strictly prohibited in all areas of the library.
- When you leave the library make sure that all the books or other library materials that you are carrying have been properly issued to you. If you are found in possession of material that has not been issued to you, this will be treated as a serious breach of the code of conduct.
- Personal possessions are not allowed inside the library, except exercise book (khata), pen, geometry box and calculator.
- Library baggage counter is for keeping your personal possessions, but you must not keep money or other valuables there, as the library authority does not take the responsibility for loss or damage of your belongings.
- We ask you to treat Library Staff and fellow users with respect and courtesy. The university will not tolerate antisocial behavior.
The library has no accountability in case of damage or theft of personal belongings left unattended inside the library.
|9.00 am to 5.00 pm|
|Closed on Friday and Public holiday|
German University Bangladesh Library welcomes purchase suggestions from faculty members, students, staff, or registered library users for the addition of library materials which support teaching, study, and research at the University community. Suggestions are reviewed by library committee because the Library isn't able to purchase all requests at a time. The decision about which titles will be purchased and the number of copies also determined by the committee.
Before submitting a suggestion, please check the library catalogue to determine if the item you need or wish to suggest has already in the library.
The university community is requested to place their suggestions one semester before it will be required.
Please provide complete and correct bibliographical information. Complete a separate form for each request
We value your suggestions. Please feel free to suggest a purchase to the libraries.
*** Admission going on *** Admission going on ***
- B. Sc. Engg. in Environment Protection Technology
- B.Sc. Engg. in Food Science & Technology
- B.Sc. Engg. in Computer Science & Engineering
- B. Sc. Hons. in Bio-Technology
- B.Sc. Hons. in Human Health (Similar to Public Health)
- BBA (Bachelor of Business Administration)
- BSS Hons. in Sociology (Bachelor in Sociology)
- BA Hons. in Economics (Bachelor in Economics)
- BS Hons. in BPA (Bachelor in Public Administration)
- BA Hons. in English (Bachelor in English)